This Friday we had another brew day here at tMHBC. We’d planned to do two brews – a Lemon Wine and an Imperial Stout. On the way to the “brewery” Brian called me to ask if I had cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. I’ve learned not to ask why so, I just told him I did and left it and that, I figured I’d discover what kind of craziness he was up to soon enough. It was a nice day for a brew and we had a couple of friends join us as well for some cigars and sharing of some craft brews. We’re living the dream over here, folks.
Brian showed up and started plopping jars of honey, citrus fruits and raisins on my counter and busted out a little Fleischmann’s action to boot. While diving into the recesses of the interwebz, he’d stumbled on a recipe for Joe’s Ancient Orange Mead and decided to try it out. It’s a very, very simple recipe that is said to produce a very good mead. It’s drinkable after a couple months and supposed to be excellent at about 6-7 months. Starting it now should have this ready for us at the holidays. We’ll keep you posted.
Next up for the day was some Horse Pop. “WTF is Horse Pop?”, you ask. (Some of you likely know the reference already, for the others… enjoy. PS – NSFW) Horse Pop is our version of Skeeter Pee lemon wine. While I love the concept of Skeeter Pee I really hate that name. I wanted a classy name, one you’d be proud to serve to your pastor or take to the yacht club. “Pardon me, but might I top off your Horse Pop, good fellow?” “Oh yes, it’s quite delightful… merci.” It’s going to be awesome.
So after fighting with Brian about adding malt or hops or berries or whothehellknowswhat to the recipe we finally made “by the book” Skeeter Pee. This is a quick fermenting wine and should be ready to bottle in about a month, just as the heat of summer hits us hard here in Atlanta. I hear it’s a very sneaky drink and comes in at 10% but drinks like Kool Aid, easy to get out of control if you’re not careful. Fermentation can be tough to get going with lemon-based beverages but I made a yeast starter and it started up nicely not long after pitching. I look forward to bottling this one and getting stupid on it.
The final brew for the day was V1.0 of our Signature Stout. Brian and I both love a good stout so we decided this is the first style we want to perfect. We’ve come up with a recipe that puts us in the right range of where we want to be with ABV and bitterness and using some malts we know we love. This sucker has 18 1/2 lbs of malts in a 4 gallon batch.
This one, of course, is a bit more involved than the mead or the lemon wine. We have to watch mash and sparge temps and time hop additions, etc. We followed the recipe to the “T” and we’re dumbfounded when we missed our OG by 0.020. A HUGE number to be off, and we know we followed the process dead on. BUT… one thing we missed was how much wort got stuck in the deadspace of our mash tun. The answer is “a lot”. That much grain held a lot of water and we should have given it longer to drain, we also need to upgrade the MLT drain hose as it’s quite possible even with the supports that amount of grain and water restricted our flow. We didn’t notice how much was trapped right away but the next day, while cleaning it out, there was a lot of liquid that had settled. A lot of delicious, sugary gravity that we missed out on. Lesson learned.
The stout still looks very good and the wort tasted great. Hopefully we’ll get a nice brew out of it but we’ll have to go back to the drawing board to get a perfect and reproducible recipe for our stout.
- The original Skeeter Pee (skeeterpee.com)
- Joe’s Ancient Orange Mead (homebrewtalk.com)
- We’re Moving On Up! (mostlyharmlessales.wordpress.com)