Corking and caging our first Belgian brew

We weren’t sure we’d pull through at times but both Brian and I managed to survive the 2 massive blizzards that hit Atlanta in as many weeks.  Brian sat in is fancy-pants condo and, literally and figuratively, looked down on the frozen people of Atlanta.  I just stayed in the house and occasionally poked my head out to see if the roads had thawed.  In the middle of the storm I made tuna salad without realizing I was out of relish, I didn’t even have any pickles I could chop up.  It was terrible.  Fortunately I had plenty of milk and bread and eggs, because after watching the news apparently these are the items every house needs to survive the apocalypse.  My local grocery store was also sold out of toilet paper, I don’t even want to know what the hell my neighbors were doing during the storms.  Fortunately by Saturday we’d thawed out and were able to get back to work in the brewhouse.  This weekend we bottled our Synesthesia Saison and did “research” on White IPA’s and Witbiers for a future brewday.

Synesthesia Saison

Synesthesia Saison

Brian and I typically work together on our brews.  We bounce ideas off each other, talk about malt and hop bills, beer body, etc.  However this saison was my pet project.  I mentioned in another post that I really put a lot into the recipe and process for this beer.  Brian stepped aside on the planning of this one then jumped in on brew day to make it happen.  I wanted this to be as Belgian as possible, including Belgian beer bottles with corks and cages, so we got a Portuguese floor corker, some Belgian bottles (holy crap these things can be expensive), corks, and cages and we were ready to make magic.  Corking and caging was much easier than I thought it would be based on the videos and articles I found online about the process.  Perhaps in a future post I’ll go more in depth with the process I used… once I make sure I don’t end up with a bunch of corks and cages flying around the house.  In the pic below the base of my corker may look odd, I used a Pyrex dish inverted on the base as a spacer to help the shorter 375ml bottles fit the corker, worked like a charm.

Floor corking the night away.

Floor corking the night away.

I was pretty happy with the way the bottling and labels on this brew turned out.  I’ve got high hopes for this beer, I guess I’ll see in a couple weeks if it comes through for me.  I hope it does as I’ve blindly entered it into an upcoming homebrew competition.  It’s gonna be a winner, I can feel it.

Next up we’ll be using all that knowledge we gained from our research on white IPA’s and witbiers to brew something along those lines.  This one is Brian’s child though, so I’ll stay out of the way until brew day.  I’m a bit scared as Brian is absolutely nuts when it comes to designing beer recipes, so there’s no telling what we’ll end up with.   One of his ideas yesterday was Raison de Raisin Saison.  I mocked him for the idea, as I do with all of his ideas whether or not they are good, but now I want to brew a raisin saison.  Looks like it’s time to get back on the research.

Advertisements

One thought on “Corking and caging our first Belgian brew

  1. Pingback: Crush, brew, sample, measure, test, wait. | The Mostly Harmless Brewing Co.

Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s