A couple weeks ago I shared that we were going to experiment with dry-hopping Bud Light to taste the difference in hop varieties. Bud Light is a good delivery vehicle due to its wat… mild flavor profile.
After adding 1 gram of hop pellets to each bottle I allowed them to sit at room temperature for two days then cold-crashed them overnight. Brian and I got together with another friend to taste the results, here’s what we all thought.
- TD – Slight aroma, bit of ‘funk’ on the nose. Sweetness and dankness on the palate. Grassy!
- BH – Very little aroma, slightly sweet on the nose. Super-watery, washed out, effervescent.
- ET – Light and refreshing hop, not overpowering. No discernible aroma.
- TD – I love this hop. AMAZING aroma, nice citrus on the palate. My new favorite hop.
- BH – All about the aroma, beautiful and delightful, I want to snort it. Bit more body and presence than Challenger. “Oranginess” that sticks around, somewhat refreshing with better flavor than Challenger.
- ET – Very pungent and dank. Do not like this hop at all.
- TD – Fruity aroma, very light. Slightly sweet and musty flavor.
- BH – Little to no aroma. Fruity quality… possibly pear or very mild apple. Not overpowering. Maybe kiwi?
- ET – Pear, apple on the aroma. Soft fleshy fruit, like apricot or peach.
- TD – Sweet aroma, citrus/pine. Doughy-grass and pine on the palate.
- BH – Like licking an evergreen tree. Aroma is like a musty and mild Citra, cut grass on the palate.
- ET – Musty-basement and wet dog aroma with a hint of pine.
- TD – Light citrus aroma. Piney-grapefruit flavor. Noticeable lack of sweetness compared to the others. White pepper.
- BH – A little sweet and piney on the nose, maybe grapefruity-pine. Effervescent and peppery with a faint orange/tangerine.
- ET – Light floral aroma. Sweet citrus, more flesh/pulp than rind flavor, some bitterness… maybe pepper but not sure.
- TD – Reminds me of the Citra on the aroma, very nice citrus/pine. Lighter flavor profile with a pine sap characteristic.
- BH – Evergreen and pepper, palate kind of shot at this point.
- ET – Dank and foresty, more pine than citrus. No real tasting notes, too many to tell at this point.